At BRW Society, we try our very best to do things right. We love tea and all the fun that comes with it but we know how important it is to take care of our earth's resources. That's why we strive to do things differently.
Firstly, we offer eco-friendly packaging for all our tea bags.
We want you to have a great experience while still being environmentally conscious!
Now, what exactly do we mean by eco-friendly packaging?
1. Biodegradable Packaging - Biodegradable packaging means that it can be completely broken down by microorganisms in the soil or compost and hence doesn’t stay in the environment to harm it. This is achieved by using plant-based material for the tea bag instead of synthetic plastics or bleached paper. Plant-based material generally breaks down faster than their non-biodegradable counterparts, and so will not hang around in the environment forever.
2. FSC Certified Material - FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certified packaging is a label that guarantees consumers they are purchasing 100% recycled paper and other sustainable forestry packaging material. The FSC logo contains the image of a tree with branches, leaves and an apple on it as well as the words "Certified Forestry Products". They come from responsibly managed forests, not endangered forests, and are 100% recycled post-consumer waste.
What makes FSC certified packaging ideal for tea bags?
FSC certification ensures that your packaging is coming from responsibly managed forests. This means that no trees were felled when making your tea bag packaging, and no animals were harmed in the process.
You may be surprised to hear that FSC certification goes all the way down to the farm level and organic farming is one of many standards that is used by auditors to give FSC certification.
Therefore, you not only get your tea bags in sustainable packaging, but you can be sure that the ingredients of the teabag are all organic and healthy.
That's like a combo, isn't it?
3. NatureFlex Packaging - NatureFlex is a sustainable alternative to oil-based plastic packaging. This innovative bioplastic material is made from renewable wood pulp and highly durable natural fibers, both of which are 100% recyclable. The result is a strong and versatile plastic-like material that can be shaped and molded into any form and applied as film wrap for a variety of products. The material maintains the same properties as oil-based plastics but is more economical, can be recycled multiple times and offers a greener solution to conventional fossil fuel-derived polyethylene film packaging.
What makes NatureFlex an ideal material for tea bags?
In addition to being better for the environment, NatureFlex is surprisingly beneficial for the tea bag itself. Let’s have a look at it how?
1. Superior Barrier Properties - NatureFlex provides superior oxygen barrier protection to help maintain product freshness. This means your BRW Society tea bags stay fresh for a longer period compared to if they were in traditional, non-sustainable packaging.
2. Easy Openability - NatureFlex features an easy-open feature that dispenses the entire length of film for easy opening of the package. This helps reduce the tearing of the entire film and protects the tea bag from exposure to air and contaminants during the opening.
3. Flexibility – NatureFlex is an amorphous thermoplastic resin with a high degree of flexibility, which provides stress crack resistance and helps protect against package breakage.
So now you know why our tea bags maintain that perfect aroma and taste.
Secondly, there are some stuff we are working on to improve. Our loose tea pouches for example, we are working hard on changing the packaging, with the aim of being a completely plastic free company by the end of 2023.